When you’ve been out of the pool for a long time, it can feel daunting to get back into your routine. Whether you took a break after college or age group swimming, had an injury, or life got in the way, it’s important to ease yourself back into the sport gradually to avoid feeling burnout or getting injured.
Check out our top tips for getting back in swimming shape!
Go for an Easy Swim
Reignite your love for the water with a quick, easy swim on your first day back. No expectations, no hard sets. Just swim a distance that feels good to you and enjoy being back in the water!
Work on drills, stretch out and remember why you liked to swim so much! Once you get that first swim out of the way, you’ll find that you’re eager to head back to the pool for another workout.
Set a Goal
Identify a goal to keep yourself motivated and focused on training for the next 2-3 months. That could be a swim meet, a triathlon, a weight loss goal, or a distance goal.
Whatever your goal, make sure it’s SMART:
- Specific: What are you going to do?
- Measurable: How will you measure it? For example: “I will lose 10 pounds” vs. “I will lose weight.”
- Achievable: It is realistic for your current situation.
- Relevant: It aligns with your personal needs.
- Time-Bound: Your goal has a specific end date. For example: “I will swim a 1k workout by June 20th.”
For extra accountability, join our Global Community group on Facebook!
Related: How To Set SMART Goals
Follow a Training Plan
Doing random workouts is great, but if you’re working toward a goal, they won’t get you there. Following a structured plan that is aligned with your goals is the best way to succeed!
Properly designed training plans help you progress safely, avoiding injury and building long-term results.
Check out the swimming and dryland training plans MySwimPro app to get you started! With plans for swimmers of all skill levels – from beginner to elite – you’re sure to find a plan that works for you!
- Beginner Freestyle Fundamentals (4 weeks)
- Get Fit – Freestyle (6 weeks)
- Enhance Speed (8 weeks)
- Improve Endurance (8 weeks)
- Get Fit – IM (8 weeks)
- IMX Pro Challenge (10 weeks)
- 10k Challenge (10 weeks)
- 5k Open Water (12 weeks)
- Open Water Plan (12 weeks)
- Dryland for Beginners Plan (2 weeks)
- Get Stronger, Swim Faster: Intermediate Dryland Plan (6 weeks)
- Max Performance: Advanced Dryland Plan (4 weeks)
- Swimmer’s Core (4 weeks)
- Low Impact (6 weeks)
- Swimmer Strength (8 weeks)
- HIIT (6 weeks)
- 14-Day Sweat (2 weeks)
If you need help choosing the right training plan, our team can help! ELITE COACH subscribers get access to quarterly 1-on-1 coaching calls with the MySwimPro team. We’ll talk through your goals, skill level and will help you find a plan that works best for you. Check in with us each quarter to track your progress and get advice!
Ready to get back in the water? Make the commitment to yourself and get started! Download the MySwimPro app and get a free trial of ELITE COACH to unlock all of our swimming and dryland training plans, technique videos and resources.