Open water racing takes special training — if you’re preparing for a one-mile open water race or are training for a sprint or Olympic distance triathlon, the Open Water Swim Training Plan in MySwimPro is designed for you! Work on your endurance, speed and stroke technique to ensure you make it across the finish line feeling strong.
Open Water Training Plan Overview
- Workouts: 30
- Average Workout: 2,200 meters = 60 minutes
- Goal: Complete a 1,500 meter open water race
Who’s it for? This Plan is designed for swimmers looking to improve their 1,500m open water swim or complete an Olympic or sprint distance triathlon.
How does it work? At the end of this Plan you’ll be ready to race 1,500 meters in open water! Challenge yourself with threshold test Sets and continuous pool swims to build endurance and speed. Supplemental open water swims are recommended once per week in the final six weeks leading up to your race.
Sign up for MySwimPro Coach to unlock this Training Plan! Before you get started, check out these resources:
- How to Train for an Open Water Race in a Pool >
- 5 Freestyle Drills for Advanced Swimmers >
- How to Swim Freestyle with Perfect Technique >
- 5 Ways to Pace for Distance Swimming >
- The 6 Most Important Swimming Metrics to Track >
How to Train with MySwimPro
In the MySwimPro app, every Swim Workout and Training Plan is customized to your skill level. Head to the pool with confidence, knowing you’re getting exactly the training you need to reach your goals. As a MySwimPro member, you’ll unlock:
- Personalized Training Intervals that are tailored to your speed and automatically adjust as you get faster.
- A SetBar™ that shows your expected swim time vs. rest time for every Rep in a Set. This is a game changer if you’re new to interval training!
- A Workout Scaler that allows you to quickly increase or decrease the distance and duration of your Workout to make it fit your schedule.
- Compatibility with Apple and Garmin smartwatches. Sync your Workouts to your watch for Set-by-Set guidance!
- Detailed Analytics about every Workout, including splits, heart rate, SWOLF score, stroke rate, strokes per lap and more.
- Technique Videos explaining drills for all 4 strokes and dryland training technique, plus educational videos to help you improve your performance.
- A fresh Workout of the Day 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- The MySwimPro Workout Library, packed with hundreds Swim and Dryland Workouts.
Featured Training Plans
After you finish the Open Water Training Plan, try these Plans!
- Get Fit – Freestyle
- Enhance Speed
- Improve Endurance
- Get Fit – IM
- IMX Pro Challenge
- 10k Challenge
- 5k Open Water
Ready to get started? Open the MySwimPro app to get your personalized Training Plan >
I just want to track my laps in a 25 yd pool using freestyle. How do I DO THAT?
Hi Bob! You can download the free MySwimPro app on your smartwatch (the app works on most waterproof watches by Apple Watch, Garmin, Fitbit, CASIO or WearOS by Google). Then you can start a “Pool Swim”, jump in, and the watch will track your distance by stroke! Here’s more info: https://support.myswimpro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003725733-Tracking-a-pool-swim-workout-with-Apple-Watch
Pingback: How to Train For an Open Water Race in a Pool - Global Swim Series